Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm Still Alive and Well...PROMISE!

Hiya dear friends! HAPPY MARCH! I know it's been quite awhile since I last blogged. I promise all is well! I returned to Nigeria in mid-January and have been working, working, FIELD-WORKING!
During the last 2 months I've visited family, moved to a new place in Abuja (where I am MUCH happier), and the National Assembly has become my second home. Below are pics covering the last two months. ENJOY!

A new Super Market/SAMs Club type store I came across in Idi-Ishin , close to my house in Ibadan.

They pretty much have anything you could want...

My Aunt and Uncle are opening a new hotel in Abeokuta. Where all that white stone is will be a waterfall. And the interior is GORGEOUS! Message me for details!

I found my Dad's dissertation (University of Texas, Austin, 1979) in his library at our Ibadan House. FYI I don't even know what the title means...LOL...his field is Petroleum Engineering.

Me with my nephew Samuel.

The National Assembly AKA my 2nd home...

I'm here every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10a to 6pm.  The security guards and I are on a first name basis, LOL.

Two new ankara materials I bought. What do you think?

My Sister, Dolapo, at the mall. On our way to Silverbird Cinema for a film.

Protesters in front of the National Assembly when I went this past Tuesday (3/1/2011). Not sure if it's spillover from the uprisings in the Middle East or election-related. It was non-violent with only minor blockage of traffic.

I'm headed to Kano tomorrow to interview members of the State House of Assembly. I already have some appointments set up, and I'm hoping to make even more.

Overall, my research is going well. Its electioneering season here in Nigeria (elections are in April) so these legislators are TOUGH to track down. There's been a lot of canceled appointments, a lot of 3 hour waits only to find I can't meet with the legislator that day...a lot of come back tomorrow/try again next week. For example, there was one legislator who I waited to 3 hours to see, only to have him meet with EVERYONE ELSE waiting, and tell me to come back tomorrow. I've been texting him (yes, he gave me his personal cell #) and, for the life of me, I can't book a meeting with him.
And on Friday, I waited two HOURS to meet with a legislator for two MINUTES. *SIGH*

With that said, I've had a bit of success. If the legislators are in their offices and have 30 minutes to spare, they'll meet with me. They're curious about my work and why I want to talk to them...most are engaging and provide stories/examples.

I've definitely learned the lessons of PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE. It's easy to get frustrated when it seems the PAs are giving me the run-around...but eventually they'll see that I'm a serious person and give me what I want :)

I promise to blog a lot more...next stop is Kano! Laters Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment